Spinach, Banana & Date smoothie
As promised, here is my favourite green smoothie recipe of the moment. This is a lusciously thick and creamy smoothie. So thick in fact, I like to eat it with a spoon! Of course, you can always add more liquid if you prefer a straw-worthy smoothie.
This little gem is packed with so many nutrient-dense foods it's hard to know where to start! Spinach is loaded with nutrients and amongst other things is a great source of B-carotene and magnesium. B-carotene is an anti-oxidant that also supports immunity while magnesium is a mineral that is important for optimal energy and healthy strong bones. Magnesium can also help to off-set a high-sodium intake via its role balancing electrolytes.
Given that bananas, avocado and nuts are all wonderful sources of magnesium, this smoothie is a great way of keeping up your magnesium intake. Avocados also provide monounsaturated fatty acids and the fat soluble Vitamin E which are great for heart health as well as gorgeous skin, hair and nails. The avocado also helps to make the smoothie decadent and creamy. For me, the avocado is a must!
I like to top the smoothie with a very generous dollop of thick yoghurt (Greek or coconut yoghurt are perfect) and a few toasted coconut chips. It's a brilliant way to start the day knowing you have some mighty nutritional ticks so early!
This smoothie would also make a very satisfying, nutrient-dense post-exercise snack. Especially so when you have just finished a hard training session and know that you won't be able to eat a nutritious meal within an hour of finishing training. You could add a scoop of good-quality protein powder to the smoothie following a tough workout. The protein will help to kick-start the muscle recovery process.
Spinach, Banana and Date Smoothie
Makes 1 large glass
· 2 handfuls of spinach (or you could use kale)
· 1 small banana
· 1-2 Medjool dates (depending on how sweet you like it)
· 1/3 avocado
· 1 tablespoon of cashew nuts
· 1 tablespoon of chia seeds
· 1/2 cup of coconut water or water
· Yoghurt and toasted coconut chips to serve
1. Place all of the ingredients into a high-powdered blender or Nutribullet
2. Blend until you have a thick green smoothie
3. Pour the smoothie into your favourite glass and top with a dollop of yoghurt and some toasted coconut chips.