Crunchy Crumbed Chicken Tacos
Recently I was given the privilege of doing some work for the good folk over at Proper Crisps by creating a series of wholesome recipes to accompany their delicious range of tortillas.
These Crunchy Crumbed Chicken tacos were one of my favourites! Who knew you could blitz up tortillas and then mix them with breadcrumbs too create a crunchy moreish coating for foods such as chicken and fish?! This makes a simple and delicious family-friendly meal or one to serve to friends also. For more tortilla inspired recipes, head on over to the Proper Crisps Instagram page here.
Crunchy Crumbed Chicken Tacos - serves 4
Crumbed chicken is the ultimate comfort food. Made with crunchy tortillas and served in a colourful soft taco, it is a healthy take on an old favourite.
· 100g Proper Crisps Cheeza-Peno tortilla chips (~3 cups)
· 1 cup of gluten-free or normal breadcrumbs
· 2 free-range eggs, lightly beaten
· Salt and pepper
· 4 chicken thighs, cut into four pieces each
· 4 Tbspn olive oil
· 2 cups red cabbage, finely shredded
· 1 large carrot or 2 medium carrots, grated or peeled into strips
· ½ cup roughly chopped coriander + extra to serve
· 1 avocado, sliced
· ¾ cup sour cream
· 1 ½ Tbspn lime juice
· Cracked black pepper
· 8 x soft corn tacos
1. Place the corn chips into a food processor and process until finely crushed. Transfer to a plate. Stir in the breadcrumbs. Season with salt and pepper.
2. Place the eggs into a shallow dish.
3. Dip each bit of chicken in egg and then the breadcrumb mixture to coat. Set the crumbed chicken pieces aside on a clean plate.
4. Heat the olive oil in a large pan and cook chicken for a few minutes each side until golden and cooked through. You may need to cook the chicken and batches and add extra olive oil in between if the pan is becoming too dry.
5. Meanwhile, in a large bowl combine the red cabbage, carrot and coriander.
6. In a small bowl, mix sour cream and lime juice until smooth. Season with black pepper.
7. To serve, divide coleslaw between warmed corn tacos, top with crumbed chicken, sour cream, sliced avocado and extra coriander. Season with salt and pepper if you wish.